EEO Public Report
2216 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
Annual EEO Public Report
For the Period June 1, 2011 - May 31, 2012
This EEO Public File Report is to comply with the FCC's EEO rule which is required to be placed in the public inspection files of the station and posted on its website.
The information contained in this report covers the time period beginning June 1, 2011 and ending on May 31, 2012.
The FCC's EEO Rule requires that this Report contain the following information:
1. A list of all full time vacancies filled by the Station during the applicable period.
2. For each vacancy, the recruitment source(s) utilized to fill the vacancy.
3. The recruitment source that referred the applicant for each full time vacancy during the applicable period.
4. Data reflecting the total number of persons interviewed for full time vacancies during the applicable period and the total number of interviewees referred by each recruitment source utilized in connection with these vacancies.
5. A list and brief description of the initiatives undertaken pursuant to Section 73.2080 (c) (2) of the FCC Rules.
Education Reporter-News – 11/10/2011
1. Recruitment Sources: 1,2,7,8,9,10,11,14,15,16,20,21,24,25,29,32-42
2. Referral Recruitment Source: 10
3. # of people interviewed: 6
Producer – Midday - 2/6/2012
1. Recruitment Sources: 1,4,7-11,13-16,21,24,25,28,34-40
2. Referral Recruitment Source: 39
3. # of people interviewed: 10
(Please refer to the attached Recruitment Resources pages for detail on the sources used to recruit)
Outreach Initiatives taken during this period:
1. Internal Continuing Education:
a. September 2011, Maryland Morning senior producer attended the Public Radio Program Directors Conference.
b. October 2011, Maryland Morning senior producer gave a presentation about “sociological storytelling” at the Association for Humanist Sociology.
c. October 2011, Maryland Morning senior producer attended three-day seminar on racial equity held by the Aspen Institute.
d. October 2011, Maryland Morning producer attended DUXCamp At NPR in Washington DC.
e. January 2012, Maryland Morning producer attended Knight Digital Media Training Fellowship in Berkeley, CA.
f. February 2012, Program Director and Business Manager attended career fair @ Loyola University for the Maryland Career Consortium (MCC represents 15 Maryland colleges and Universities). Collected resumes and discussed radio career opportunities in programming, news, and the business office.
g. April 2012, General Manager attended a number of educational programs at the National Association of Broadcaster’s annual conference.
h. May 2012, Education news reporter attended conference on education reporting at NPR’s Los Angeles Bureau.
i. September 2012, Program Director attended the Public Radio Program Directors Conference.
Note: Anthony Brandon became WYPR’s President and General Manager upon retiring after 35 years as president of American General Media, a commercial broadcasting company. Brandon has been the licensee of more than fifty radio broadcast stations in his career. He mentors and teaches staff members and interns on many levels with instruction on all facets of broadcasting including sales, announcing, journalism, and public relations.
2. Job Posting: Advertised in local and national publications including CURRENT, which is the industry's trade publication, WYPR web site, Craigslist, Indeed.com, CPB Job Line, WYPR on-air announcements, National Association of Black Journalists, Jewish Community Services, Journalism and Women Symposium, DCRTV.com, and many others (see WYPR’s Recruitment Resources below).
3. 2011 marked the 3rd year WYPR partnered with Cristo Rey Jesuit High School which provided an opportunity for students to acquire broadcasting skills and knowledge. Students interned in one or more of the following departments: Programming, News, Membership, Maryland Morning, Midday, and the General Manager’s Office.
4. WYPR has had and continually offers internship programs in our Programming, News, and Development departments. Open to the public, high school students, and college students, our programs offer opportunities to intern over a period of time and acquire broadcasting skills, knowledge, and experience. We teach, challenge, and prepare our interns for broadcast careers. Our internships have been a recruitment tool as we have hired former interns.
WYPR Recruitment Resources Address Contact
1 American University 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016 Elaine Salisbury 202-885-1852www.american.edu/careercenter/
3 Baltimore Business Journal 1 East Pratt Street, Suite 205, Baltimore, MD 21202 Debbie Hoffer 410-576-1161http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore
5 Baltimore Sun 501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21278 Allison Thompson 410-332-6850 http://www.baltimoresun.com
6 Careerbuilder.com website www.careerbuilder.com
7 College of Notre Dame of Maryland 4701 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21210 Career Enrichment center 410-532-5387http://www.ndm.edu/StudentServices/Career
8 Corporation for Public Broadcasting 401 9th Street NW, Washington, DC 20004 CPB jobline http://www.cpb.org/jobline/
9 Craigslist website P.O. Box 225159, San Francisco, CA 94122 http://baltimore.craigslist.org/
10 Current - The Newspaper about Public B'casting 1612 K Street NW, Suite 704, Washington, DC 20006 Kathleen Unwin 877-745-8776 x1 http://www.current.org/jobs/
11 DCRTV.com website Dave www.dcrtv.com
12 Gorkana.com website 1 West Street, New York, NY 10004 firstname.lastname@example.org,646-556-6520
13 Goucher College 1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson, MD 21204 Sue Sala 410-337-6191 email: CarDev@goucher.edu
15 Indeed.com website 177 Broad Street, 6th floor, Stamford, CT 06901 www.indeed.com
16 Jewish Community Services 5750 Park Heights Ave, Baltimore, MD 21215 Debora Weisbacher 410-843-7380www.jcsbaltimore.org
17 Journalism and Women Symposium 3701 Drakeshire Drive, Modesto, CA 95356 510-764-1877 www.jaws.org
18 JournalismJobs.com website Berkeley, CA 510-653-1521 www.journalismjobs.com
19 Loyola University 4501 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21210 Mary DeManss 410-617-2692www.loyola.edu/thecareercenter
20 Maryland Association of Non Profit Organizations 190 W. Ostend Street, Baltimore, MD 21230 Reine Savdie 443-438-2310http://eseries.mdnonprofit.org/
21 Maryland Workfore Exchange 1100 N. Eutaw Street, Room 209, Baltimore, MD 21201 https://mwejobs.maryland.gov
22 Mediabistro.com website New York, NY Jacky Carter 212-547-7893 www.mediabistro.com
23 Monster.com website www.monster.com
25 National Association of Black Journalists 1100 Knight Hall, Suite 3100, College Park, MD 20742 Keiona Davis 866-964-2765 x2716 http://careerservices.nabj.org
26 National Association of Broadcasters 1771 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20036 202-429-5420http://www.nab.org/radio/default.asp
27 Public Broadcasters Management Association 939 S. Stadium Road, Columbia, SC 29201 803-799-5517http://www.pbma.org/
28 Stevenson University 1525 Greenspring Valley Road, Stevenson, MD 21153 Kate Thorne 443-352-4477http://www.stevenson.edu/career
29 Towson University 7800 York Road, Suite 206, Towson, MD 21204 Cary Smedley 410-704-2233www.towson.edu/careercenter
30 University of Baltimore Career Center, 21 West Mount Royal Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21201 Barry Dunkin 410-837-5440 email: email@example.com
31 University of Maryland Univ. Career Center, 3100 Hornbake Library, College Park, MD 20742 301-314-7225http://www.careercenter.umd.edu
32 University of Maryland Baltimore County 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 Joan Allen 410-455-2216www.careers.umbc.edu
33 Washington College 300 Washington Avenue, Chestertown, MD 21620 Stephanie Younker 410-778-7890http://career.washcoll.edu
34 WYPR eNewsletter 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Deborah Davis 410-235-1517 www.wypr.org
35 WYPR on Facebook 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Deborah Davis 410-235-1517 www.facebook.com
36 WYPR on LinkedIn 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Deborah Davis 410-235-1517 www.linkedin.com
37 WYPR on Twitter 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Deborah Davis 410-235-1517 www.twitter.com
38 WYPR, WYPF, and WYPO on air announcements 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Brian Crompwell 410-235-1039 Balt. & Frederick: 88.1 FM Ocean City 106.9 FM
39 WYPR staff/board and CAB members 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Brian Crompwell 410-235-1039www.wypr.org
40 WYPR website 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 Brian Crompwell 410-235-1039http://www.wypr.org/employment-and-internships
41 Americas Job Exchange via Maryland Workforce Exchange-see above https://mwejobs.maryland.gov
42 US Jobs via Maryland Workforce Exchange-see above https://mwejobs.maryland.gov