It takes extraordinarily talented people to bring you the programs you enjoy on WYPR. With the growth at WYPR we will occasionally need experienced self motivated people to work in several departments. If you are highly qualified and would like to inquire about one of these positions, please submit your resume by e-mail. Regretfully, we cannot accept telephone applications. Thanks for your interest in WYPR.
AUDIENCE & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
WYPR 88.1 FM, a National Public Radio station serving Baltimore, the state of Maryland, and beyond, seeks a full-time Audience & Community Engagement Associate to help the station expand its reach to the 25- to 35-year-old demographic through a variety of strategies and avenues including events and social media. Candidates must understand how to reach this demographic and develop and implement meaningful and sustainable opportunities that connect them to the station.
Role & Responsibilities: Candidate will work collaboratively with WYPR staff and the station’s public relations and marketing partner to accomplish the following:
- Develop a vision for identifying, cultivating and engaging with the target audience.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for achieving the vision.
- Develop, maintain and grow a robust new audience database.
- Plan and coordinate educational, informational, cultural and entertaining events and programs that will resonate with and attract new audiences within the targeted demographic.
- Leverage relationships with younger listeners and the community into lasting support for the station.
- Identify events and programs for WYPR to sponsor that reach the targeted audience.
- Negotiate, maximize and manage sponsorship opportunities, collaborations, and partnerships on behalf of the station.
- Craft compelling content and activate a strategic and aggressive digital media campaign to reach the targeted audience.
- Distill and refine WYPR communications and messaging towards an end goal of building a community of younger listeners and members.
- Research member relationships to find new and improved ways to maintain and grow membership.
- Serve as spokesperson for WYPR on relevant activities and programs.
- Monitor, measure, and analyze strategic plan in order to make adjustments and support its growth.
- Proven experience in developing successful start-up marketing and outreach programs
- Understanding of best practices for marketing, communications and targeted engagement, particularly to those in the 25- to 35-year-old demographic
- Thorough understanding of marketing and social media platforms (including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Snapchat), and how to use them efficiently and effectively
- Ability to activate measurable goals and results
- Proficiency in writing and communicating skills
- A self-starter
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with several departments with competing goals and deadlines
- An interest in current events, art and culture with an eye towards life in Baltimore and Maryland
- Impeccable customer service skills
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends when required
When jobs are posted, please submit cover letter (cite recruitment source), resume, and references, along with audio samples if required to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Mailing address:
2216 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
Interns in the newsroom are major contributors to news content produced for on-air and online audiences. They learn radio production skills and web journalism skills, as well as how to work in a fast-paced environment with seasoned journalists. We expect interns to adhere to the highest journalistic standards of objectivity, fairness, and integrity. While there is no pay available, hours are flexible. Most work would be done at the WYPR studios in Charles Village.
Duties: transcription of recorded interviews, blogging, photography, attendance at weekly editorial meetings, help maintain department calendar and archives, research, gathering audio for radio stories and audio editing using Adobe Audition.
Qualifications: strong writing skills & proficiency with word processing software required, as is an interest in local Maryland news. Adobe Audition experience is preferred but not necessary. Journalism experience preferred.
To apply: email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Joel McCord. Internships typically last 4 months: January to April, May to August, and September to December.
WYPR serves the metropolitan Baltimore area and the state of Maryland, the mission of Your Public Radio is to broadcast programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit which enrich the minds and spirits of our listeners and ultimately strengthen the communities we serve. Values and Principles include:
1. WYPR will remain fundamentally noncommercial in spirit and practice
2. WYPR will adhere to the highest standards of journalistic and artistic excellence
3. WYPR will deliver educational, informational, cultural, and entertainment programming as a public service to the broadest possible audiences
4. WYPR will operate under sound principles of fiscal planning, management and governance
5. WYPR will foster a positive working environment characterized by fairness, equality of opportunity