Employment and Internships
Employment and Internships It takes extraordinarily talented people to bring you the programs you enjoy on WYPR. With the growth at WYPR we will occasionally need experienced self motivated people to work in several departments. If you are highly qualified and would like to inquire about one of these positions, please submit your resume by e-mail. Regretfully, we cannot accept telephone applications. Thanks for your interest in WYPR.
Employment Opportunities - 1
WYPR-FM, Baltimore's NPR News station - has a full time opening for an experienced Board Operator/Producer, who can produce radio content in studio as needed. Candidates should have experience operating a radio broadcasting console, running live, LOCAL talk; and if you're proficient in computer assisted radio programs, that’s a huge plus. Must be flexible; work hours will include weekend shift(s) and as needed. We're looking for a self-motivated person, who is engaged, a good communicator, one who works well with a variety of host personalities and is cool under pressure…like breaking news, major events and serious weather situations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for running broadcast board inclusive of digital editing, recording and maintaining network feeds.
- Protects the company’s FCC license.
- Required to perform production work.
- Other duties as required by management.
Internship Opportunity (1)
Interns in the newsroom are major contributors to news content produced for on-air and online audiences. They learn radio production skills and web journalism skills, as well as how to work in a fast-paced environment with seasoned journalists. We expect interns to adhere to the highest journalistic standards of objectivity, fairness, and integrity. While there is no pay available, hours are flexible. Most work would be done at the WYPR studios in Charles Village.
Duties: transcription of recorded interviews, blogging, photography, attendance at weekly editorial meetings, help maintain department calendar and archives, research, gathering audio for radio stories and audio editing using Adobe Audition.
Qualifications: strong writing skills & proficiency with word processing software required, as is an interest in local Maryland news. Adobe Audition experience is preferred but not necessary. Journalism experience preferred.
WYPR serves the metropolitan Baltimore area and the state of Maryland, the mission of Your Public Radio is to broadcast programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit which enrich the minds and spirits of our listeners and ultimately strengthen the communities we serve.
WYPR's principles and values include:
1. WYPR will remain fundamentally noncommercial in spirit and practice
2. WYPR will adhere to the highest standards of journalistic and artistic excellence
3. WYPR will deliver educational, informational, cultural, and entertainment programming as a public service to the broadest possible audiences
4. WYPR will operate under sound principles of fiscal planning, management and governance
5. WYPR will foster a positive working environment characterized by fairness, equality of opportunity.